Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Distinguished Gentleman

The weather has been glooming in Taipei. Finally the prayer has been answered. The sun came out for the first time since more than a week ago. It was almost like a miracle!

I had just finished breakfast. As soon as I strode out from the coffee shop an older gentleman happened to be in front of me. He stopped, nodded and then continued to walk. I couldn’t help but stare at him as he moved away.

He was all decked out in a pressed collar shirt with pleated pants. A folded pocket square was neatly placed in his suit jacket and his shoes were polished.

That crew cut fit him perfectly. He topped it off with a pair of Ray Ban Aviator and a men’s scarf from Hermès.

He’s probably in his mid-60s if not older. He did walk with a cane. Each stride was steady and confident.

He’s by far the most chic and sleek-looking gentleman I’ve seen on the street in Taipei. But that’s not the only reason that I was drawn to him. It was his presence and his demeanor. I think that’s what chivalry is all about – a long lost tradition in the modern days we live in.