Friday, February 19, 2010

Monogamy vs. Polygamy

「You know, for two generations now my father and my grandfather both had two wives. I will never do that!」

His voice is certain and every word is spoken clearly. He runs his fingers through her silky jet-black long hair.

「Wow! Having two wives is almost like a family tradition. No one will blame you if you simply follow the lead of your father and your grandfather! Hey! Three times a charm for your clan!」

She is surprised and amused by his proclamation. She can’t help it but wonder if a man is likely to practice polygamy when his father and his grandfather both have more than one spouse.

「Even though my mother is the first and the legal wife to my father I cannot ignore the fact that she went through a terrible ordeal with this polygamy. I will never do that to another woman. That just ain’t right!」

He’s rather serious about being monogamous…almost too serious to be real.

「I didn’t know you feel so strongly about polygamy but…」

Before she has a chance to finish what she’s saying a cell phone starts vibrating on the end table. He quickly reaches for it, takes a look at the caller ID and picks up the call as he walks into the bathroom.

A few minutes later he returns and lies down again on the big white crisp linen next to her.

「Sorry! That was my girlfriend. So, what were you saying again?」he sounds apologetic for interrupting their conversation.

「No biggie…I was just saying that I didn’t know you feel so strongly about polygamy, not to mention the fact that we’re lying here naked with me on top of you! Maybe you should look it up on the dictionary and find out what monogamy means.」 she rolls over and jumps in the shower, leaving him dazed and confused.