Friday, August 07, 2009

Happy Hour

Years ago when I first moved back to Taipei Asia was the most happening place. Many overseas Chinese from all around the world returned to their roots for greener pastures. A few socially-minded youngsters decided that it was time to form a network for these not-so-Chinese and yet not-so-foreign generation. It was designed to allow these English speaking 20 something to meet people with similar backgrounds and upbringings who were also new in town. It was a bonding / moral support group. However the most important function was for business networking. After all they came here for one reason: to find prosperous opportunities in the new gold mountain and hopefully cash in for promising future.

Soon the monthly happy hour became the hottest spot in town for those who would like to see and be seen. It became so popular that it went from a local event to regional and surprisingly a global event. Obviously there’s a need for it.

I can count with one hand how many times I’ve made appearances at the monthly gathering. Don’t get me wrong. I do believe in the cause of such an organization. It’s meant to serve a purpose and that is to help better the life of every overseas Chinese living in Taiwan and eventually lead them to greater business opportunities. There are two types of people who would show up at the happy hour on a regular basis: business cards collectors and meat market seekers. I have nothing against them but it seems like these people failed to learn the basics of etiquette for social situations.

The business card collectors are very goal oriented – they’re out to meet, greet and connect with people who can broaden their social network and further advance their careers. They will approach strangers, make small talks in order to find out what their professions and decide if it’s worthy their effort to exchange business cards. They hit and run when they meet people who cannot be beneficial in a business way. Throughout the two hour they will work their way through the crowd and collect business cards from all the newbies of the night. Soon enough they realize that they run out of people to collect business contacts from because it’s the same old crowd that shows up every time. The happy hour turns into a mutual friends’ monthly gathering.

As for the meat market seekers the happy hour event is convenient for them to scout about for the opposite sex. They hunt their preys like serial killers stalk their victims. Once they lock in their targets they just follow every step of the way like a nightmare – clinging and strangling. As a result some people stop coming because they’re tired of being harassed by the meat market seekers.

A few meat market seekers are such amateurs that once they get close to me I just want to show them where the door is. The other night a six month pregnant female friend and I bumped into each other at the happy hour event. We’re excited to catch up in person about my recent trips and her upcoming birth of son.

A very geeky looking Chinese guy comes up to my friend and says awkwardly, “I didn’t know pregnant women are supposed to come to the happy hour event.”

My friend pauses for a second and then turns to me. She says, “What does that suppose to mean?”

“You’d better rephrase what you just said or it’s gonna get ugly.” My voice is calm but I’m giving him a dirty look as I speak.

His face turns red instantly and all of a sudden his eyes are lit up as if he’s just discovered a new gold mine. “Oh I think I’ve met you before. You used to one of the organizers for the happy hour event. Ha, your name…I think I know your name…well my name is…”

My friend certainly has more manners than I do because she is still smiling. I, on the other hand, cannot take it anymore, Grrrr!

“Dude. I’m only going to say it once and you’d better listen up. You don’t know her name and we don’t care for yours either. Don’t waste our time. Just leave us alone. Obviously you’ve got no game. So, go on home now and don’t turn back. You have exactly one month to sharpen your social skills and practice your game. Okay? Now go!”

This happy hour event needs to be revamped and a possible facelift. If it aims to achieve the purpose of networking, whether business or social, there’s gotta be a better way for profiling members. Can we just drop the losers already?