Monday, April 30, 2007

Movie Review: NEXT

Question: “Is it worth to go see NEXT in the movie theatre?”
Answer: "Put my two cents in, you should keep your money in your wallet and wait for Blockbuster. Next question! "

Honestly I didn’t go in with much expectation before I attended the screening for NEXT. Well, the movie stars Nicolas Cage, Julianne Moore, and Jessica Biel. How bad can it be? Ha, I wish I knew what I know now! The whole experience is like dreaming – a nightmare to be precise.

For 96 minutes I was confused and lost. A lot of the stuff didn’t make any sense to me. I’m still trying to figure out where the terrorists come from and why they steal the nuclear bomb to blow up Los Angeles. The movie is based on “the Golden Man,” a short science fiction story by the late Philip K. Dick. Hollywood must really adore Mr. Dick. In the past we’ve seen Blade Runner, Total Recall, Screamers, Impostor, Minority Report, Paycheck, A Scanner Darkly and now Next – all adapted from his work.

The problem with NEXT is that you are hardly sitting on the edge of your seat because the protagonist is clairvoyant and he tells you everything before it happens. What’s the fun in it? His superpower is not only a burden for himself but also takes away our enjoyment. You don’t have to wonder what’s next since it’s always played out beforehand. Once you know how the gimmick works, you probably don’t care to watch the rest of the film.

However, Jessica Biel is still the eye candy you expect her to be. She doesn’t have much to say but she sure looks sexy. After all, she’s now ranked #6 sexiest woman in FHM magazine and #1 by STUFF. If I may add, Nicolas Cage needs to do something about his hideous hair. Is it just me or it looks like a toupee? It’s just ugly beyond words.

If Philip K. Dick were still alive, what would he say about this movie if he saw it? May he rest in peace.