Sunday, April 29, 2007

Movie Review: VITUS - 想飛的鋼琴少年

Vitus is Switzerland’s national pride for it was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards 2006. Since I’ve never watched any movie by director Fredi M. Murer, I have no idea what his other work are like in the past. However, Vitus is certainly a “Feel Good” movie. If you are at a crossroads in life or contemplate whether to pursue your dream or discard it, this movie might be an inspiration.

There are several actors chosen to portray the protagonist at different ages. In my opinion, the six-year-old, Fabrizio Borsani is by far the cutest and the most adorable one. However, the twelve-year-old, Teo Gheorghiu is in deed an established pianist and the winner of San Marino International Piano Competition in 2004. This is Teo’s first movie and he excels in not only piano but also acting.

I highly recommend the original soundtrack and it is definitely worth keeping in your iPod. The music is no doubt the soul of this movie and it can connect the viewers to the film without words. From the first scene, I was intrigued because of the music.

The protagonist is a child prodigy and his parents have high hopes for him. He can obey his folks and become a world renowned pianist or follow his heart and do what he desires.

Does that sound familiar? It’s a story that we can all relate to. You don’t have to be gifted to understand that what our parents expect of us is usually what they want or something they were unable to accomplish. They already figure out what’s best for us and what lies ahead in our future.

Just think back to your childhood when the question “what do you want to be when you grow up?” was first posed to you. Of course, you’re young and you didn’t know what you know now. Your dreams were altered according to your parents’ liking. They will try to influence your ideas and direct you to where they want you to go.

However, that is not to say that they are wrong. In fact, sometimes I’d hate to admit that they are right on the money, like it or not. My mom was opposed to dancing but she liked piano and violin. In order to keep my dancing classes, I had to take piano and violin as well. That was our deal. Though eventually I dropped both instruments, I wish I had put in more efforts in classes. Every so often when I see a piano, I wish I can just play for fun. I remember my mom said to me, “You’ll regret it. How many people would die for such opportunities? You don’t have to be a musician but instruments can be great hobbies.” Ain’t that the truth?

“Are you sure that you want to be a dancer? Dancers don’t earn enough to make the ends meet. A starving artist…is that what you want to be when you grow up?” That’s the great cop-out my mom gave me for quitting the dance class. What a terrifying thought! A starving artist?! Like the bum on the street?! Yikes! That’s not how I envision myself years from now.

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I continued to dance and ended up as a professional dancer. I’m already a starving artist in the broadcasting industry. Would I be worsened as a dancer? Maybe. But I would rather make that decision for myself, not because my mom said so.

Is it possible that our culture forbids the children to think on their own? Our parents tell us whom to be best friends with, what major to choose, and which job to take. Who knows? Perhaps your significant other is hand-picked by your folks too because supposedly they know the best. So, what’s left for you to do in this lifetime? Some argue that parents’ decision-making is for the best interest of the children. Therefore, they carefully choose the right path and make sure that the journey to success is less bumpy. But life is no fun if everything is meticulously calculated. For some reason, the road less traveled seems more exciting and probably holds endless possibilities.

In the end, even the child prodigy wants to be treated like a normal kid. His parents’ expectations suffocate him and playing the piano becomes a tedious job. Once he breaks free and regains his childhood like most kids, he rediscovers his passion for piano.

If everything has been decided for you, perhaps it’s time to steer the wheel of fortune by yourself. All along you’ve been measured by the things you cannot control. What would you do differently if you didn’t have to worry about pleasing your parents or winning the approvals of others? What do you want to be…and I do mean anything…when you grow up? Without inhibitions, you’d better start thinking for yourself!