Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Daddy’s Girl for Life

I don’t ever deny the fact that I’m such a daddy’s girl. And I’ve always been a daddy’s girl for as long as I can remember.

My dad often does the sweetest thing without saying a word. When my book was published in mid-February he went to the bookstore and bought 10 copies. Then he asked me to sign those books before giving them away to friends and families. There I was, wondering what my relatives and my dad’s friends would think of my dating exploits as they began to flip through the pages. Then within a week my dad returned to the bookstore and purchased another 10 copies. Just thinking about it my eyes get all teary.

Over the 4 day weekend I was sick with food poisoning since the second night. So I was in bed sleeping all day and night.

Daddy walked into my bedroom to check on me, “Are you staying in?”

I know. It’s a miracle that I’m home! LOL.

“Yeah. I’m staying in.”

This food poisoning got me really sick. I was up in the middle of the night throwing up and it also upset my stomach for two days. Even now I still don’t have much appetite for anything. That’s unusual for me cuz I’m always thinking about what to eat, where to go and what to eat next.

“How’s the book sale so far?” Dad asked.

I don’t feel like explaining the whole ordeal with the publisher to him. The whole thing is unfortunate and it’s a mess to say the least.

“I have no idea.” And that’s the truth. I don’t know the sales number but we all know that it’s not on the best-selling chart either.

“Do you have enough money?” Dad had his hands in his shirt pockets as if he’s got a stack of money ready to be handed over.

I bet my dad thinks that most authors don’t earn enough to make the ends meet. That’s probably true since only a dozen or so authors make a killing from book sales and I’m not one of them. But the truth is that my livelihood doesn’t depend on my book sales. Thank god!

“I’m good. I have money.” My body was weak, my head was spinning but my voice was firm.

“Are you sure you have enough to spend?” Dad asked again and this time with a grin on his face as if he’s glad to hand me the money he’s already prepared.

“Yes I’m sure. I have plenty to spend & splurge.” I reassured him.

“Okay. Just so you know…you can always come to me if you need money. You know where to find me. Having some extra in your pocket can never hurt right?”

Even though Daddy smiled as he walked out of my room but I was all choked up underneath my comforter.

Daddy once joked that the reason I have never been married is due to the fact that he’s given me all the best in this world within his ability since the day I was born. Somehow that intimidates some of the potential suitors, leaving me unmarried at the age of 37.

I say that’s non-sense. I don’t see how a father’s deepest love for his daughter has anything to do with her future marriage. If anything it only makes her feel loved and she’s a better person because of it.

For those men who are intimidated by me obviously you’re simply not man enough. Don’t’ blame your self-esteem issue on me.

Single or married I’ll always be a daddy’s girl. NO DOUBT.

Last but not least I dedicate this article to all the fathers in the world who love their daughters wholeheartedly and all the daddy’s girls cuz you know what I’m talking about!