Saturday, October 07, 2006

Three Weeks Before My 33rd Birthday

It's exactly three weeks before my next birthday. It seems like yesterday when I celebrated my 32nd birthday where one of my best friends, Vincent, threw up at the party. He passed out and we had to clean up after him. Betty couldn't help it but took some pictures of him half naked after we stripped him down to just his underwear. I don't think Vincent ever forgave us for that.

Next Tuesday I'll be hosting a wedding. Usually I would only host weddings for people I know. This time I accepted the job because the couple contacted me through my friend Ivy. Only after I met the couple for the first time, I realized how much I loathe the groom. It's fair to call him a pig head. In the name of money, I'll just suck it in and go through with it. Take the money and run!

The other day a friend asked to see pictures of me when I had long hair. To tell you the truth, I almost forgot how I looked with long sily hair. My laptop crashed earlier this year and wiped out everything in it, including my pictures. Luckily I have most of them saved in my MSN space and ofoto. I used to store pictures in ofoto up until a year ago when I learned how to run MSN space.

And then I came across old photos of me and Leo. Wow...I definitely look very different now. Believe it or not, I actually feel nostalgic looking at us in these old pictures. He's 12 years older than me. He's got one failed marriage due to a cheating wife. He showed me what a Latin lover would do for his loved one. I still remember what we did on our first date. He took me to see Anger Management starring Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson and we had Thai food afterwards. It was March, 2003 - I just quit my radio gig and decided to take an extended vacation in the States. We met at Eddy's house after we came back from Eri's wedding reception.

Leo used to be very fond of my long hair. He would run his fingers through my silky hair. The last time I saw him was March, 2006. He said that he couldn't recognize me because I chopped off my signature long hair. He also told me that he didn't care much for my new haircut and he missed the long hair. "It's my hair and I can do whatever I feel like." I replied coldly.

Three years down the road, I've changed and grew up while he remains the same. He's happy in his way. "It's nobody's fault but you should be with someone who's just as happy in your way because I am not!" That was the end of our relationship. He refused to have any contact with me ever since. I understand completely. If I were him, I'd probably do the same.

I always try to remember the good times from each relationship. And during the time we're together, I probably didn't compliment him enough for all the nice things he's done for me. He used to bring me flowers; he would always open the car's door for me; his hand was always holding mine when we're together; he knew I love sweets and would take me to places for ice cream and desserts; to this day, no one can pick me up and carry me like the way he did. I never worried if he would drop me. It was trust led me to believe that I'd be safe in his arms. And no one could "spoon" me in bed like the way he did.

Reality bites and truth hurts. In the end it didn't work out and in a time like this, I miss him. I do wish him all the best, even if he never wanted to speak to me again. Maybe someday he'll find someone better to be his 'Chyna'!

After one divorce, Chinese American director / actress Joan Chen once said, "Every woman will find that special someone who will appreciate her. Sometimes you have to work harder to make it happen. You need to go the extra distance to meet him! Just a little farther, he's right there!" Joan is married to her current husband Peter for 12 years now and together they raise two beautiful daughters.