Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Are You Lonesome Tonight, Girlfriends?


According to a recent survey, 90% of the white-collar in Taiwan feel lonely. Wow, there are a lot of loners on this island! I personally know a lot of great women, myself included, =) and I can't figure out why they remain single all this time.

Then just a few days ago, I finally understand the truth lies behind it all. My revelation comes from a book called "He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses truth to Understanding Guys" by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo.

All of us have experienced the good, the bad and the ugly in relationships. Nonetheless, truth hurts. We really like someone but he gives mixed messages. We live on false hopes and continue to make excuses for him 'cuz he is just confused and cannot commit yet. As a result, these ambiguous relationships put us in a constant worry, "He Loves Me...He Loves Me Not...Maybe Not Today..."

I can't help but wonder how come we girls just let men dictate our worlds while they're emotionally unavailable. What's in it for us anyway?! The pain? The heartache? The midnight sob?!

Anne says, "We've been together on-and-off for 8 years now. We broke up when he met someone else; but then he left her and we're together again; though it didn't last a lifetime and we're now separated, I know in my heart that he will come back to me eventually. It's just a matter of time."

Hooray to your new-found independence! 8 years down the road he never put a ring on your finger. It's clear that He's Just Not That Into You. It's not that you're not good enough for him. You deserve better, darling. You'll someday make a good wife / mother. A happily married life is ahead of you. The first step toward it is to let go the man who's been stalling too much time.

Joy says, "I love him so much that I can't even begin to describe my feelings for him with words. No matter what he does behind my back, he always comes back to me at the end of the day. That's love, isn't it? And it also goes to show that what I can give him is more than his other women. He needs me!"

You're such a good Samaritan. On the other hand, you're not Mother Teresa. So, listen up, sweetie! I'll only say this once and you'd better hear me out. Have you noticed that every time he longs for your love, he's also seeking some financial help? Let's face it! You're his meal ticket. I kid you not. Of course he needs you. He expects you to take care of him because he's a down-and-out drifter. You're a driven, ambitious, and talented woman. You shouldn't waste your time on a man who can barely cover his own living expense. If you feel like throwing your money away, I suggest you put it into a good cause. Need I say more?

Life is too short to be wasted on a man who's just not that into you. A very immediate task: Weed out men who give out mixed messages and men who cannot commit. Boys, you know who are! So, step aside and let the good time roll.